TEN TIPS TO BE
MORE PRESENT TO OTHERS
Our staff work very hard to be present and available to you whenever you need your church. Here are a few tips they have suggested to help you be more present to others.
- When you're tempted to fire off a quick text to someone, consider picking up the telephone or sending a hand-written note instead. It takes longer but it will be so much more appreciated.
- Make a plan to contact people and use technology to set the intention. If you intend to call someone, enter it as a meeting on your calendar for a specific time and date. For example, one of our staff members has a weekly Sunday dinner with her parents over Zoom.
- Volunteer for an organization that will allow you to be present to others in need. For example, staff a crisis hotline, help under resourced kids with their homework, or work the front desk for the St. Vincent de Paul help center. There is an amazing program at UCSF called "No One Dies Alone" that pairs terminal patients actively dying with volunteers who simply sit with the patient and be present to him or her in their final moments. Click here for more information.
- When meeting with someone, move to a quiet, more private space to talk. Let them see you turn your phone off and set it aside and have nothing in your hands or in your lap. Then, let the conversation begin.
- Make the other person feel comfortable by asking whether they would feel more comfortable sitting face-to-face or doing some other activity while talking like walking or going for coffee.
- When listening to someone, maintain eye contact, nod to indicate that you understand, mirror the other person's demeanor, and summarize back to the person what you heard.
- Join one of our healing groups at St. Hilary. We currently offer a bereavement ministry, divorce support group, and support for people suffering with mental health challenges. No prior experience is required.
- Be more present to your family by putting cell phones away in the evening and eating together without interruption.
- Make it a point to interact with people you find difficult. Sometimes a gentle approach will soothe even the grumpiest person!
- Be present to God by spending a few minutes in prayer and reading the Bible or attending Mass every day.
St. Hilary Church & School
761 Hilary Drive
Tiburon, CA 94920-1421
(Near the corner of Rock Hill Drive)
In the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco
Click on the word "Google" below to find us on the map!
Sundays: 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.*
Tuesdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Thursdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Fridays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
* On Sundays, a staff member will be stationed in the vestibule of the church before and after Masses to reserve Mass intentions, schedule baptisms, funerals, and other events, answer questions, and assist you with other requests.
The rectory office is closed on Independence Day, Labor Day, and other official holidays.
Weekend Mass Schedule
All Masses Live Streamed Except 5:00 p.m. Saturday and 7:30 a.m. Sunday Masses
Saturday 5:00 p.m. (Cantor & Piano Music - Outdoor Only)
Sunday 7:30 a.m. (Quiet Mass - Indoor & Outdoor)
Sunday Family Mass 9:00 a.m. (Contemporary Praise & Worship Music - Indoor & Outdoor)
Sunday 11:00 a.m. (Cantor & Piano Music - Indoor & Outdoor)
Sunday 5:00 p.m. (Contemporary Praise & Worship Music - Indoor & Outdoor)
Daily Mass Schedule
Monday-Friday 11:00 a.m. (Indoor Only)
Saturday 12:00 p.m. (Indoor Only)
Holy Days of Obligation
Fridays 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
Saturdays 12:45 -1:30 p.m.
Every Friday, First Friday, First Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
SCHEDULE YOUR ONE HOUR VISIT: Contact Shawn Sylvia at email@example.com or
In the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, between the sanctuary and Tarantino Hall
© 2020 Saint Hilary Catholic Church & School